A pasta dish that’s delicious either warm or chilled.
1.5 cups fresh basil leaves
3 cloves oven roasted garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
1/4 cup fresh parmesan or romano cheese
2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts
2 Tablespoons toasted walnuts
1/3 cup blanched white onion
- Roast garlic cloves (unpeeled), pine nuts, and walnuts in a pyrex dish for 8 minutes at 275° F
- While roasting, combine and process the basil, spinach and olive oil and cheese
- To blanch onion, peel and cut into large pieces. Add onion to a small saucepan of boiling salted water & cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour out into a strainer, then place onion directly into an icewater bath for 5 minutes. Remove from icewater & place on a paper towel to dry.
- When items in the oven are finished roasting and slightly cooled, peel and chop the garlic.
- Add the chopped garlic, onion, and toasted pine nuts & walnuts to food processor; blend until the texture is creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Chill pesto for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Cook and strain pasta; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the pasta and pesto: use about 1 tablespoon pesto for each 1.5 cups pasta
- Mix in 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
Top the pasta with other ingredients:
1 medium tomato, sliced
4-6 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
1 cup artichokes (canned in water or frozen)
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup pepperoni slices (cut in quarters)
1/2 cup sliced black olives
2 Tablespoons parmesan or romano cheese
1 Tablespoon toasted pine nuts