Finally — A Healthy Mac & Cheese!
Everyone loves mac & cheese! Ditch the guilt and keep your healthy eating routine. This gosh-darn delicious recipe is so easy to make and will satisfy your comfort-food craving every time.
1 box (16 oz) elbow macaroni
1 package (8 ounce) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
4 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 Tbsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add pasta and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Pasta should still be firm when you strain and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine oil, ricotta, cottage cheese, parmesan, milk, flour and eggs. Add half the package of shredded cheddar cheese (the other half will be used to sprinkle on top before it goes in the oven). Stir this mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Use a 2 quart casserole baking dish. Mix it all together in the baking dish. Spread the macaroni into the dish, then spoon the cheese mixture on top. Use a large mixing spoon or spatula to fold the cheese mixture into the noodles until thoroughly combined.
- Top off with a final layer using the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375° F for about 40 minutes until the center is firm. Turn up the 395° F for an additional 10 minutes to slightly brown the top. *Watch closely to make sure it doesn’t burn!
- Remove from oven and sprinkle paprika over the top before serving.