- 1/2 cup butternut squash, cooked, mashed (cooled to room temp or chilled)
- 2 cups greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
To change up your yogurt-curry, try adding 2 Tbsp tomato paste and fresh cilantro.
Refrigerate curry sauce while you prepare:
- 2 cups dry couscous (yields 4 cups when prepared according to box directions)
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into 2″ chunks
- 1/2 cup carrot slices
- 1 can (6 oz) black olives, sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 cups kale, torn
- 3 figs (dried, whole)
- 2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
Start by preparing ingredients that take longest to cook:
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Rinse and cut cauliflower into pieces, toss pieces to coat in 1 tbsp olive oil, then spread pieces out into a pyrex baking dish.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 325F, until they are slightly browned. Be sure to check on your cauliflower every 5 minutes. You may have to remove from the oven and use a fork to turn the pieces so they roast evenly without burning.
Use the cooktop while cauliflower is in the oven:
- Start boiling water for couscous in a medium saucepan (prepare according to instructions on box)
- Place a medium frying pan onto another burner, add 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp grated ginger, and 2 minced garlic cloves to the pan.
- Turn heat to low-medium & add the chicken breasts and cover the pan.
- Cook chicken breasts on medium heat for about 7 minutes; flip, cover and cook the other side for another 7 minutes.
- Chicken should be slightly browned. Remove from heat & set aside.
Use the same frying pan that you used to cook the chicken: Veggies will pick up the flavor and you won’t waste any of the oil and spices you have left in the pan.
- Add 1 tsp additional of each of these ingredients to the pan:
- olive oil
- minced garlic
- Turn heat to medium-low. Add veggies, one type at a time. Start adding veggies, one type at a time, in sequence from hardest to softest:
- Add carrot and stir while cooking for 5 minutes
- Add celery, stir & cook for another 3 minutes
- Add onion and kale, then stir and cook everything for 3-5 more minutes
Put it all together:
- Cut chicken into bite-sized chunks, then add to a large bowl along with the couscous and veggies
- Use a mixing spoon to gently stir in chickpeas, olives, figs, and walnuts.
- Spoon in & mix yogurt curry dressing incrementally so you do not overdress.
Reheat before serving 8 people (approx. 2 cups each)